Re: [igraph] igraph 0.5 and Graph.Tree()

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] igraph 0.5 and Graph.Tree()
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:49:49 +0100

Hi,

Note that you don't need sysadmin permissions to upgrade. You can set up a Python virtual environment inside your home directory using python-virtualenv, compile and install igraph locally into your home directory and then use that. A few tweaks are required, though, the whole process is roughly as follows:

1. Get the igraph source code
2. Configure it using ./configure --prefix=/home/marco (or wherever your home directory is) 3. make && make install (it will put the necessary files in /home/ marco/include and /home/marco/lib) 4. Set up your library path to include /home/marco/lib (otherwise Fedora won't find the igraph libs): export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/marco/ lib 5. Create a Python virtual environment (see, e.g., http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#creating-a-virtual-python ) 6. Make sure that "python" points to your virtual environment (i.e., type "which python" in your shell and check the path). 7. Install easy_install into your virtual environment using http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py .
8. easy_install python-igraph into your virtual environment

Note that the changes in step #4 should be done whenever you plan to use the locally installed igraph (that's in your home directory). Your best bet is probably to add it to your .profile or .bashrc.