Re: [igraph] speeding up the code

From: Steve Lianoglou
Subject: Re: [igraph] speeding up the code
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:29:54 -0400

Hi,

On Jun 11, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Tamas Nepusz wrote:

Hi Marco,

I have just finished writing some fair complex code in python+igraph
and I am now trying to speedup the code.
Since I have never done something like this, I am looking for ideas.
Well, considering that igraph is written in C, the more time you are
able to spend "inside" igraph function calls, the faster your code will be ;) Besides that, I guess it's better to optimize the Python code than to rewrite the whole thing in C. Optimizing Python code is tricky, since
sometimes it goes against common sense if you are not familiar with
Python's internals. Read these essays as a start:

http://www.python.org/doc/essays/list2str.html
http://www.skymind.com/~ocrow/python_string/

Also see:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSpeed/PerformanceTips