Re: [igraph] Average Path Length / Diameter

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Average Path Length / Diameter
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:11:44 +0100

Tom,

I think you can do two things:
1) In http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jure/pubs/powergrowth-tkdd.pdf the authors
   introduce a method to approximate the diameter (although their
   diameter is not the classic diameter). They claim that it works well.

2) Calculate the real diameter. Yes, this can take a long time.
   Here is a first rough sketch of how i would do it:

   a) compute the shortest paths from one vertex to all the others
      at a time. Calculate a path length histogram for these
      path length. Obviously, you cannot store all path lengths,
      but the diameter should be small, so you can store a histogram
      and that is more information than just storing the average and
      the maximum.
   b) create a simple text file which contains a single number,
      the vertex for which the calculation will be performed next.
   c) create another text file which will contain the results, one
      line for each histogram, prefixed by the id of the vertex
      for which the path lengths are calculated.
   d) If you would like to parallelize the calculation then
      you'll need some locking mechanism to avoid many processes
      reading/writing the files at the same time.
   e) At the end look over the result file to see the vertices
      for which the calculation is missing or corrupt because
      of power failures, or because the machine froze, or other
      evil things.

   That is it basically. I think it is good because a) from a simple
   run (for a single vertex) you can estimate the total running time
   quite precisely, b) it is moderately fail-safe, consider to backup
   the result file every day (hour) or so, a small script can do this;
   c) you can do it in any language that igraph supports (actually it
   is not very hard to do it without using igraph at all); d) from the
   stored histograms you can calculate other measures, like the 90
   percentile diameter they suggest in the paper i proposed above, etc.

Hope this helps,
Gabor