hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] How do I use implicit pathname buttons in org-mode

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [Hyperbole-users] How do I use implicit pathname buttons in org-mode?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 19:25:34 -0500

> On Nov 9, 2018, at 6:51 PM, Mats Lidell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
>> It would be even more useful if we added JSON record retrieval via web APIs.
>>  Probably wouldn't be too hard given what exists in Elisp already.
>
> That sounds interesting but I don't get how that would work together with
> rolo mode. Can you please elaborate?

Sure.  HyRolo is actually a generic text record filtering system, so although
it has contact-related features, it is happy to find matches in any set of text
records.  So once a JSON hierarchy or list of records is retrieved, HyRolo
could show a pretty-printed version of any record that matches a search.  For
example, bibliography records or movies from IMDB.  A simple wrapper function
calls the appropriate HyRolo function, like hyrolo-fgrep, I believe, and the
magic happens.  Through the years, I have used it for rapid access to many
different kinds of records.  Usually such wrapper functions are just a few
lines and then are bound to their own command invocation keys.

JSON would probably be a bit more involved.

Maybe we should have a contest to see what unique uses people can find for
Hyperbole.  For my own use, I have built custom Hyperbole menus for accessing
Evernote notes and for interfacing to the Emacs helm package (now that was
involved).

Bob