heroes-discuss

Re: [Heroes] A new release for non-CVS users would be awesome!

From: Ingo van Lil
Subject: Re: [Heroes] A new release for non-CVS users would be awesome!
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:52:57 +0100

On 16 Feb 2004, Seth House wrote:

> As Ingo van Lil suggested: I, for one, would absolutely appreciate a
> new release for non-CVS users.

I just realized there is an alpha release available on the heroes
download page. The bug is fixed there, but since it's a prerelease there
could be some new bugs. I didn't try it.
If you just want a bugfixed release unpack a 0.21 tarball, edit the file
src/menus.c, go to line 222 and add a terminating {0, 0} entry to that
array (editor_entries[]).

a_menu_entry editor_entries[] = {
  /* TRANS: Create a new level.  */
  { N_("NEW LEVEL"),>   editor_menu },
  /* TRANS: Load an existing level for edition.  */
  { N_("LOAD LEVEL"),>  editor_selector },
  { N_("GO BACK"),>     0 },
  { 0, 0 }
};

> (Though I would happily settle for quick instructions on how to get
> from the CVS download to the configure-make-make install step -- if
> anyone would be kind enough to spare a few minutes!)

Compiling from CVS isn't much more complicated than compiling a source
tarball, but you need to have several tools installed, e.g. autoconf and
automake. See the file HACKING for details.

> Last month I tried to compile HEROES on OS X, and got to the intro
> movie, at least, before it seg-faulted. Not until now did I think to
> try the CVS version. In NEWS it is mentioned that a seg fault fix had
> been made for Debian PPC ... maybe the same one?

Very likely.

        Cheers,
            Ingo