heroes-discuss

Re: [Heroes] Segfault in Heroes-0.21

From: Ingo van Lil
Subject: Re: [Heroes] Segfault in Heroes-0.21
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:41:59 +0100

On 15 Feb 2004, Jerome Zago wrote:

> > I recently installed Gentoo Linux (what a fantastic waste of time. :-) )
>
> On which architecture ?

x86 (Duron).

> Can you reproduce it if you ./configure && make && make install with the
> tarball ? I ask because I have never noticed this bug when compiling from
> scratch on Mandrake Linux 9.1 (i386). And I have played it (0.21) dozens of
> hours.

I never noticed it before, but I'm not sure if I ever tried 0.21. I
usually played to CVS versions. I guess whether it crashes or not
depends on the compiler version or anything like that.

> > I fired up my debugger and realized it's a quite obvious bug
> > in src/menus.c that has already been fixed 17 months ago but is still
> > present in the current release tarball.
>
> Is it this one ?
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/heroes/heroes/src/menus.c?r1=1.113&r2=1.114

Exactly. The editor_entries array isn't terminated. The compile_menu()
function manages to add 11 entries (instead of just 3) before it finally
crashes.

        Cheers,
            Ingo