Re: [help-texinfo] Wish: --split-level

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Wish: --split-level
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:56:16 -0400

    The config files just need to be
    enriched with the level of splitting.

The only information available in the @xref command is the node and
filename.  So if we're looking at @xref{somenode,,,somemanual}, and we
look up somemanual in the config file, and it says that it's split by
chapter, what do we do?  We need to generate
href="../somemanual/somechapter.html#somenode", but we don't know what
"somechapter" is.

I guess we could write all the chapter/section/etc. names into a config
file too, when somemanual was generated, but this does not appeal.

Or, we could generate http://somemanual/index.html#somenode, and rely on
a javascript redirect (also created when somemanual was generated) to
somechapter.html#somenode, but ... I don't like the idea of correctness
relying on js.

Finally, in general, I am pretty doubtful that anyone will ever bother
to actually create/update those config files ...

Is there some other way?