help-tar

[Help-tar] Update versions on FC3

From: David Leangen
Subject: [Help-tar] Update versions on FC3
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:16:57 +0900

Hello!

I apologise for this very basic question... but I'm stuck!

I guess I've got a bit too used to using RPMs on FC... Now, I want to update my version of tar to 15.1, which is not available as an RPM.

How do I do this?

I compiled everything, right up to "make install", but it does not overwrite my current installation.

I am afraid to remove the tar package because there are so many dependencies. At least when I use "yum remove tar", it seems to want to remove 80% of my entire system (figure of speach).

I am sure that this must be simple, but could somebody please explain what I must do?

Thank you!!!