help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Difficulty with multi-volume archives

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Difficulty with multi-volume archives
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:56:41 +0300

David Leangen <address@hidden> wrote:

> The problem is that I'm facing is that, at some point, the program is
> telling me that it cannot find the file on the next archive. I
> generally get at least a few disks successfully restored until I
> eventually come across this problem.
>
> Is there something else I need to consider here?

Generally speaking, the procedure is right. I myself use the similar
approach quite often.

> For instance, do long file names cause a problem?

Ideed, long file names 'straddling' the volume boundary caused problems
in versions of tar prior to 1.15.1 (by the way, what version are you
using?) In particular, multivolume format is not able to store files
straddling the volume boundary if their name is longer than 100
characters. GNU tar 1.15.1 refuses to store such files and issues an
appropriate error message.

Regards,
Sergey