help-source-highlight

[Help-source-highlight] Idea: Common highlighter interface

From: André Simon
Subject: [Help-source-highlight] Idea: Common highlighter interface
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:02:02 +0200

Hi,

this is the developer of highlight (without GNU prefix, see
http://andre-simon.de), the other universal syntax highlighter you probably
know ;)
As both utilities have a very similar use case, they already share some command
line options. My suggestion is to enhance both apps' interfaces and docs to
offer the same long options for (basic) highlighting. Third party apps like
webgit or viewcvs could implement plug-ins which work with gnu-highlight or
highlight, no matter which app is installed.
I only intend to harmonize the CLI, not the language definitions, C APIs or
other internal stuff.

Options already shared:

help
version
input
output
out-format
doc
no-doc
css
src-lang
tab
line-number
line-number-ref
output-dir
failsafe
title
data-dir
ctags-file

---
distinct options source-highlight:

detailed-help*
lang-list*
outlang-list*
header
footer
style-file*
style-css-file
style-defaults
outlang-def
outlang-map
output-dir*
lang-def *
lang-map
show-lang-elements *
infer-lang

---
distinct options highlight:

batch-recursive
add-config-dir
config-file
outdir*
list-langs *
progress
quiet
syntax*
verbose*
list-themes
force
plug-in
print-config
print-style
skip
start-nested
validate-input
style-outfile
style-infile
fragment
reformat
include-style
line-length
line-number-length
font
font-size
line-number-start
style
replace-tabs
doc-title
encoding
wrap-simple
wrap
zeroes
kw-case
delim-cr
no-trailing-nl
anchors
anchor-prefix
anchor-filename
print-index
ordered-list
class-name
inline-css
enclose-pre
babel
replace-quotes
pretty-symbols
page-size
char-styles
height
width

* options which are not shared, but have close matches in both apps

Best regards
André