Re: why is octave 4.2.0 x86_64-w64-mingw32 so slow?

From: Ray Tayek
Subject: Re: why is octave 4.2.0 x86_64-w64-mingw32 so slow?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 16:19:47 -0700

On 10/23/2017 3:25 PM, siko1056 wrote:
Ray Tayek wrote
hi, new to octave. taking a machine learning course.

Nice, which course do you take part in, maybe some other course participants
can help you out here or benefit from other answers.

i am taking a few, but this one uses octave: https://www.coursera.org/learn/neural-networks/home/welcome

i have posted to their forum, the suggested closing windows. closing windows reduces the time from 1400 seconds to 1200 seconds.

most of the time, all 8 cpu's are between 10%-20% utilization. windoze has a lot of services running, so it is hard to know if octave is using the cores or not.

thanks

Ray Tayek wrote
it's just doing some standard nn stuff.

Most of us have a great idea about standard Octave stuff, but are not
necessarily experts on neural networks, or on the code you are trying to run
;-)

Ray Tayek wrote
... Since you are running
on Windows I assume you've done the usual things  ... if you're running
on a laptop.
it's a desktop.

That said it's entirely possible you're running an infinite loop inside
of octave and you may be waiting a while

the program terminates and seems to behave in a rational way.

This is good news.

Ray Tayek wrote
it's not doing any i/o. 50% of memory is unused.

i would expect to see at least one thread running near 100%.

so i am puzzled.

And I am puzzled of the huge and still incomplete example you provided (what
are all the sub-functions doing, i/o maybe?).  Consider to use a MCVE
<https://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve> if you are honestly looking for help.
Maybe attach long files to your email to not get wrapped, or better upload
all of the required code to some public service, attaching a link to it.
Like NJank said, it is more guessing than answering what we can do for you
at the moment.

HTH,
Kai