Re: Troubleshooting segmentation Violation Octave MXE 3.8.0 Win7 32bit

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting segmentation Violation Octave MXE 3.8.0 Win7 32bit
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 12:33:23 -0700 (PDT)

Philip Nienhuis wrote
> :
> <snip>
> :
> 2. Replacing dlls with unstripped ones (not sure if this is actually true)
> ------------------------------------
> You could also try to manually copy the relevant .dlls and .exes over from
> <mxe-octave>
> /octave or from somewhere in
> <mxe-octave>
> /usr/.../i686-mingw64.../bin.
> AFAIR somewhere in the mxe-octave source tree, after building the
> installer/archive, they still exist in unstripped form. Maybe even in
> <mxe-octave>
> /dist/octave-3.8.1 or so?
> If you find them (compare their sizes versus the ones in your
> installation), I think you can simply swap them into the place of the
> stripped ones in your Octave installation. They are three liboct*.dll
> files and the various octave*.exe files in bin/, plus the various .oct
> files in libexec/ and lib/.

I found the unstripped files in Linux, in:
<mxe-octave>/octave/home/..../<mimic of your home dir>/
..../usr/i686-w64-mingw32/
and (easier!) in
<mxe-octave>/usr/i686-w64-mingw32
under:
- bin/   (dlls and exes)
- /lib/octave/3.8.1/oct/i686-w64-mingw32/    (oct files)
- /libexec/octave/3.8.1/exec/i686-w64-ming32   (octave-gui.exe)

so I suppose there's little need to rebuild. Just carefully copy the
relevant files (.dll, .exe and .oct) over (altogether some 580+ MB) into
place of the stripped ones in your Octave-3.8.1 installation on Windows.

Once in gdb, if you're lucky you may not need a backtrace at all.
gdb may tell you at which line of the source code the segfault occurs (if it
is a bug in Octave itself, that is) and by inspecting variable values you
may be able to assess what is going wrong. I've never done much in gdb ("bt"
was as far as I could get), but I suppose it isn't very difficult.

I am sorry that I cannot help you much further ATM; these days my priority
lies with other things I need for myself (and at work).
If you need help it may be wise to go to IRC and ask the devs there.

Philip