Re: octave update

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: octave update
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 12:43:18 -0700 (PDT)

jacopo rocchi wrote
> Yes you are right.
> Anyway I'm not determinate at all to keep on trying 3.7.7+ and really like
> to install 3.6.4 but using mac port and fink made me already waste a lot
> of time and think i won't be able to solve these problem.
> i've recently uploaded OS to 10.9 and this is maybe related to the
> problems i meet in the installation, and Ben told me before.
> The fully thing behind this is that i uploaded the operating system just
> to use the statistic package (that needed a newer version of octave
> respect to the one i had, and this could be done just with a newer version
> of xcode, that in turn needed mavericks to be installed!!!)
> So now I'm quite frustrated about this.
> I think I've no choice and will wait some weeks until these problem get
> fixed :(.
> I thank you all for all your suggestions and helps.

Did you really need the latest statistics package?

Because you can still download older statistics pkg versions that work with
older octave versions.
I can't vouch for their performance and reliability, as OF packages aren't
updated just for fun but often because important bugs have been fixed.

For a next time:
Click "details" in the package list on octave.sf.net and then you'll have
click "Older versions" in the Download "button" & follow a bit ("Individual
package releases") until you get to the full list of packages (incl. the
newest ones!).
Then just download some older statistics packages, unzip them one by one,
and look in the DESCRIPTION files (luckily in the root of each package) for
the matching Octave version (next to "depends on").

You probably wanted to have known this before you started I guess. I am
really sorry for your frustration. If we had only known before what the real
underlying issue was.....

Philip