Re: octave update

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: octave update
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 08:03:00 -0700 (PDT)

jacopo rocchi wrote
> thank you very much to all of you guys. i don't think i'll easily fix the
> problem using mac port or fink, anyway i'd like to try the package linked
> here by Philip.
> thus i download it and then i typed
> pkg install io-1.3.3.tar
> but that's what i get:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin//mkoctfile: line 378:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gsed: No such file or
> directory
> make: *** [csvexplode.oct] Error 1
> mkoctfile csvexplode.cc
>
> pkg: error running `make' for the io package.
> error: called from 'configure_make' in file
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.7.7+/m/pkg/private/configure_make.m
> near line 82, column 9
> error: called from:
> error:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.7.7+/m/pkg/private/install.m
> at line 199, column 5
> error:
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.7.7+/m/pkg/pkg.m
> at line 394, column 9

Ah.. fixing that is beyond me. I don't even have OSX.

IF you are determined to keep on trying 3.7.7+ (you have been warned
repeatedly and explicitly, with very very good reasons, by Carlo), well then
you can also try (HACKING / KLUDGE warning at max!)

1. Install the statistics package with the -nodeps option. It won't complain
about io then.
2. When you use the statistics package and hit "bla bla undefined", look for
"bla bla" in the unzipped io/inst folder and copy the m-file in question to
your ..../share/octave/packages/statistics-<version> subdir.
>From what I know the whole dependency is just one .m-file.

BUT.... I'm afraid you won't even make it far into step 1. As the io package
installation error indicates, the Octave-3.7.7+ bundle can't build binary
packages and AFAIK the statistics package has some binary (to-be-compiled)
functions as well.

You could try just to be sure, but it is probably in vain.
FYI: one of the first things that package installation does is check the
dependencies; if not all present it bails out.
Only if all dependencies are there it tries the next step (installing).
That's where I expect the journey will terminate....

Philip