Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Problems with mkoctfile in new Octave 3.4.1
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

José Luis García Pallero wrote:

> Hello,
> I've compiled the new 3.4.1 Octave version in my Debian GNU/Linux and
> I have some problems with mkoctfile.
>
> First of all, the new 3.4.1 installation puts in its bin/ folder
> (/usr/local/bin in my installation) the scripts mkoctfile and
> octave-config, but earlier versions as 3.4.0 puts the scripts
> mkoctfile-3.4.0 and octave-config-3.4.0 and mkoctfile and
> octave-config are symbolic links to it. octave-3.4.1 exists and octave
> is a symbolic link to it. Is this new behavior a new issue or it is a
> bug? For me causes troubles in some Octave Forge packages (as octcdf,
> for example) that search mkoctfile-x.x.x scripts.

I've hit the same issue on Mandriva 2010.2 while installing the octave-forge
java package.

Another (related) observation:

octave:11> which mkoctfile
`mkoctfile' is a function from the file
/usr/local/share/octave/3.4.1/m/miscellaneous/mkoctfile.m

and in this mkoctfile.m I see the stanza:
  bindir = octave_config_info ("bindir");

  shell_script = fullfile (bindir, sprintf ("mkoctfile-%s",
OCTAVE_VERSION));
which AFAICS won't work if there's neither a script nor a link to
mkoctfile-3.4.1 to be found in /usr/local/bin

octave:16> octave_config_info ("bindir")
ans = /usr/local/bin
octave:17> OCTAVE_VERSION
ans = 3.4.1

In the ChangeLog, NEWS & README I couldn't spot info on this change.
Is a bug report needed for this?

Philip