Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 14:28:28 -0700 (PDT)

Per-Olof Sturesson-2 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to read in data from an xls(x)-file into Octave.
> I run Octave ver 3.2.4 on Win XP.
>
> I have installed the io package. When using 'xlsopen('file.xls')' I get
> this
> error message:
>
> Supported interfaces:
>
> warning: No support for Excel .xls I/O
>
> xls = [](0x0)
>
> I have tried to install java package but when opening with
> 'xlsopen('file.xls',0,'POI') I receive:

> Java/Apache POI interface requested... >>>error: ...but that's not
> supported!
>
> error: called from:
>
> error:
> C:\MyPrograms\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.13\x
>
> lsopen.m at line 104, column 1
>

> I have succeded to install the java package. Here is screen print:

No you haven't, as Martin spotted.
The actual problem is shown a little above the line that he indicated, see
below:

> pkg install java-1.2.7.tar.gz -verbose
>
> mkdir (C:\DOCUME~1\fznlnj\LOCALS~1\Temp\oct-2)
>  <long snip>

> octave-forge is configured with
>
>    octave:      octave (version 3.2.4)
>
>    mkoctfile:        mkoctfile for Octave 4
>
>    java:        Java Development Kit not found

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here you are.

> Any suggestions?

Well, as you seem to use the Windows binary for Octave-3.2.4, the easiest
way is to reinstall that and select the Java pkg in the setup menu (it comes
precompiled in the binary).

But if you insist in going the hard way (no joking, I've done it myself
several times), before attempting to install the Java pkg, be sure to

1. Have a Java JDK installed (a JRE is OK for working with a pre-compiled
Java package, but insufficient for compiling it);

2. Let Octave know where to find the JDK, e.g.:

Octave > setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "C:/Java/jdk1.6.0_20")
## (use FORWARD slashes, also on Windows)

BTW: Martin Hepperle has made a lot of improvements to the Java package in
svn; I have prepared a new release lately (v. 1.2.8), but then found that it
won't set up a static javaclasspath (on Linux only, otherwise/elsewhere it
works OK; oh and I can't test on Mac OSX).
As that bug is no real showstopper (not even near) I'll upload it anyway to
the octave-forge pkg release forum Real Soon Now - the current version
(1.2.7) is fairly outdated and it is incompatible with Octave-3.4+ (I think
the latter does constitute a more pressing showstopper).

Philip