Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 23:59:21 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 26. Mai 2011, 23:28:28 schrieb Philip Nienhuis:

> But if you insist in going the hard way (no joking, I've done it myself

> several times), before attempting to install the Java pkg, be sure to

> 1. Have a Java JDK installed (a JRE is OK for working with a pre-compiled

> Java package, but insufficient for compiling it);

> 2. Let Octave know where to find the JDK, e.g.:

> Octave > setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "C:/Java/jdk1.6.0_20")

> ## (use FORWARD slashes, also on Windows)

I was a bit short on words then I answered to the original post due to a lack of time. Sorry for that, usually I try to go more into detail.

I am afraid even the two points above will not be enough (but are of course needed). Last time I tried on a windows machine I had to tweak something manually to succeed (I just forgot what, my main operating system is linux).

Tomorrow I have a little bit of time and would give it a try.

But as Philip already said the easiest way is to run the windows installer again and when the installer asks at some point for additional software to be installed one can select all the packages you want. The IO package together with the java package work well with the xls format, I know because I installed it for a colleague who is used to windows.

Per-Olof please let me know if the packgage which comes with the windows installer is good for you and works, would say it should.