Re: size too large for range of Octave's index type

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: size too large for range of Octave's index type
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:03:54 -0500

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Tim Rueth <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hm-mm.  But the memory requirement for all of my vars is only 1.41GB (< 2GB)
> with fewer than 2e9 elements total, but I'm still getting the error.  So I'm
> still confused why I'm getting the error.

If you run a whos, doesn't that give you information about matrices
that were successfully created, not the ones that failed?

I believe Windows limits all 32-bit processes to 2GB total. At least
that's what we concluded here. Even on a 64-bit Windows, if the
process (i.e. octave) is 32-bit you can only use up to 2GB total. My
understanding is you'll have to compile a 64-bit octave to access more
memory. I found this link when trying to verify my memory of this
issue:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

--judd