Re: Octave and databases

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Octave and databases
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:02:59 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 1. September 2010, 08:51:57 schrieb Pohlen, Timo:
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I tried to connect Octave to a MySQL database - but all efforts were in
> vain. In spite of looking through manuals and tutorials on the internet,
> it was not possible to establish a connection that worked. In several
> forums I found comments that the database connectivity of Octave is not
> perfect. My question is: Is it possible at all to connect Octave to a
> MySQL database (or another database)? And if so, who can I establish a
> connection and retrieve data?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dr. Timo Pohlen
> Adviser

Look at the java bindings in the octave java package (octave-forge), it is
maintained and it works. Java is very strong and easy for database handling.
Use that and jdbc driver for mysql to connect to mysql (or with the
appropriate jdbc friver everything else which you can imagine). That is what I
do when using db queries from octave. Much easier and less indirect than
invoking scripts and parsing output from databse queries.

As far as I remeber the database package is somehow broken (at least I never
was able to use it).

- Martin