Re: startup with .octaverc on Windows Vista

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: startup with .octaverc on Windows Vista
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:31:43 +0200

Bart Vandewoestyne wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:43:26PM -0500, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
We have a similar setup.   We set HOME in the
C:/octave/3.22.2_gcc-4.3.0/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc
file, with the following lines:

setenv('HOME','h:\');
cd ~;

This allows the octave HOME env variable to be set differently than a Vista global HOME environment variable. An .octaverc file in h:\ is still executed. Setting HOME from Windows
should work too, but we have other software that uses the HOME
environment variable and requires that it be set to something
else.

Tony Richardson

Thanks for your reply, Tony.  In our computer-rooms, we are doing
it now the way you describe, and everything works nicely.  The
Octave desktop-icon is now shining on all our student-computers
:-)

I do have another question related to the installer though...

For our sysadmins, it would be comfortable if they can do a
silent (unattended) install.  For as far as I can see, Octave
uses the NSIS installer system (http://nsis.sourceforge.net) and
it has an option /S with which one can do a silent install (see
for example http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php)

However, if one performs a silent install, then apparently the
installation is done with the *default* options, that is, no
Octave-Forge packages are installed and one cannot select another
Atlas library.

Is it somehow possible to do a silent (unattended) install *with*
specifying that Octave-Forge should also be installed?  Does the
NSIS installer system allow a user to specify certain
installation options somehow?

This is indeed a good question.
I did consult the NSIS manual, and it seems that there is no supoprt for an answer file for unattended installs, which means it would need to be programmed by hand. I am not an expert on nsis, and frankly I am not overly eager to start coding this by hand.

One possibility that you can try is to install octave once in the configuration desired, and then simply copy the entire directory tree as-is to a different computer. Octave itself is relocatable, and it is portable, so there is no need to install it to get a running version. What's not fully relocatable at the moment is the octave-forge packages (the package manager keeps track of absolute installation paths). So in order to get a copied directory tree working you need to start octave and execute "pkg rebuild". You can omit this step if you copy octave into the same path on a remote computer (since then no paths actually have changed, it's just a different machine).

What you cannot do this way however is to get different ATLAS architectures.

benjamin