Re: startup with .octaverc on Windows Vista

From: Bart Vandewoestyne
Subject: Re: startup with .octaverc on Windows Vista
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:19:26 +0200

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:43:26PM -0500, Richardson, Anthony wrote:
> We have a similar setup.   We set HOME in the
> C:/octave/3.22.2_gcc-4.3.0/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc
> file, with the following lines:
>
> setenv('HOME','h:\');
> cd ~;
>
> This allows the octave HOME env variable to be set differently
> than a Vista global HOME environment variable.  An .octaverc
> file in h:\ is still executed.  Setting HOME from Windows
> should work too, but we have other software that uses the HOME
> environment variable and requires that it be set to something
> else.
>
> Tony Richardson

Thanks for your reply, Tony.  In our computer-rooms, we are doing
it now the way you describe, and everything works nicely.  The
Octave desktop-icon is now shining on all our student-computers
:-)

I do have another question related to the installer though...

For our sysadmins, it would be comfortable if they can do a
silent (unattended) install.  For as far as I can see, Octave
uses the NSIS installer system (http://nsis.sourceforge.net) and
it has an option /S with which one can do a silent install (see
for example http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php)

However, if one performs a silent install, then apparently the
installation is done with the *default* options, that is, no
Octave-Forge packages are installed and one cannot select another
Atlas library.

Is it somehow possible to do a silent (unattended) install *with*
specifying that Octave-Forge should also be installed?  Does the
NSIS installer system allow a user to specify certain
installation options somehow?

Thanks,
Bart

--
        "Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."