Re: Octave took over Terminal.app in Mac OS X

From: Louyclare
Subject: Re: Octave took over Terminal.app in Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:38:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Thomas,

When I double click the Octave.app icon I get a Terminal window with Octave
running. When I double click the Terminal.app icon I get the exact same
thing, a Terminal window with Octave running.

I looked through the posts that you referred me to on:

http://www.nabble.com/octave-stole-my-Terminal-td12640966.html#a12642832

The originator of that thread seemed to have exactly the same problem that I
am having. By the end of the thread, he still did not have a solution
though. One band-aid offered in a post that seems to help is typing the
following command at the Octave prompt:

system ("exec bash")

This takes me out of Octave and into a bash shell. Exiting this takes me
right back to Octave. So it appears that somehow Octave has somehow become
my default shell in Terminal.app.

Interestingly, the same behavior does not occur with an X11 terminal window.
Launching an xterm takes me straight to a bash shell. From here I can type
the command:

exec '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'

then Octave launches. Exiting Octave takes me back to the bash command
prompt.

I did find something that may be the ultimate source of the problem, but I
don't know how it is involved. That is the file:

/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/script

This appears to be a #!/bin/sh script that in turn executes an applescript
that launches Octave. I don't know how or where this script file is called,
however. There is nothing in my .bashrc or .profile that sources anything
mysterious.

Louyclare