Re: Is octave slower than Matlab??

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Is octave slower than Matlab??
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:17:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Robert Kopp wrote:

If you buy a personal copy of Matlab, consider how long it will take you to earn the money. And if you download it from a Warez shop and they misuse your credit card information, it may take even longer to recover from the mischief. (If Octave were FASTER than Matlab, these issues wouldn't arise, of course.)

Even more important, I think, is to be part of the Octave community. Octave is a great project and the more people become involved, the faster it will improve.

Another very important issue is sharing of m-file code. Do you really want to develop something that cannot run without a proprietary software program? I don't. If I develop something for scientific use, to be shared with colleagues, it really should be pure free software with no requirement that proprietary software be used.

Finally, there are many ways in which Octave is superior to MATLAB. Octave has proved faster on some speed tests (IIRC, this is in the archive from this list), but MATLAB is also faster than Octave on some things.

Mike