Re: compile problem on redhat linux

From: Stefano Ghirlanda
Subject: Re: compile problem on redhat linux
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:56:33 +0100 (CET)

> | So I suspect that something is wrong with my current c++ setup.
>
> I'd guess an incompatible version of the C++ header files and
> library.

Darn... this is what I'd say, but it seems that I have synchronised
packages of this stuff:

root: ~> rpm -q egcs-c++
egcs-c++-1.1-0.981123
root: ~> rpm -q libstdc++
libstdc++-2.9.0-0.981123

and the headers are in egcs-c++, e.g.:

root: /usr/include> rpm -qf g++/iostream
egcs-c++-1.1-0.981123

and I don't seem to have orphaned c++ headers around:

root: /usr/include> find /usr/ -name iostream
/usr/include/g++/iostream

and all libraries and links seem to be fine:

root: /var/tmp> ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc++.so*
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so -> libstdc++.so.2.9.0
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2 -> libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 -> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8.0
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8.0
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9 -> libstdc++.so.2.9.0
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9.0

and they all belong to the right packages as stated by rpm -qf <file>.

I do not _exactly_ how things should be here, please tell me if there is
something I forgot to check!

--- this was for the prepackaged octave that fails:

> Since it fails in the library I/O code, I'm almost certain that it is
> a problem with your libraries and/or possibly the header files -- if
> the data structures defined by the header files don't match what is in
> the libraries, things will not work.

But the headers should not matter for the binary distribution, right?
ldd says I need libstdc++.so.2.8, which I have. Maybe _this_one_ was
compiled with wrong headers by redhat guys? (both 2.8 and 2.9 come in the
same package).

> When you upgraded your system, did you just upgrade the libraries, or
> did you also upgrade the C and C++ development stuff (where the header
> files are probably packaged)?

This is a little tricky to tell since the upgrade procedure purportedly
checks by itself what has to be upgraded. Anyway, the c++ headers seem now
to be packaged with egcs, rather than being in some *-devel package, as
you can gather from the above.

Thanks again everyone for your attention, and pardon the long mail,
Stefano

 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 164055, Fax: +46 8 167715, Email: address@hidden
   Support Free Science, look at: http://rerumnatura.zool.su.se