Re: compile problem on redhat linux

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: compile problem on redhat linux
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:17:28 -0600 (CST)

On 16-Dec-1998, Stefano Ghirlanda <address@hidden> wrote:

| With this one things go better, but the very final linking step to produce
| octave fails. The linker cannot find what seem to me very  straightforward
| functions:
|
| `get_lines_and_columns(istream &
| , basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>, __default_alloc_template<1,
| 0> > const &, int &, int &)':
| /usr/local/src/octave-2.0.13.95/src/load-save.cc:1015: undefined reference
| to `i
| stream::seekg(long long, ios::seek_dir)'
|
| ... more undefined refs to stream stuff follow ...
|
| So I suspect that something is wrong with my current c++ setup.

I'd guess an incompatible version of the C++ header files and
library.

| Moreover, I found out that it's not a wrong-lib-version thing that makes
| the "official" rpm fail. I got the right libraries with symlinks and so
| on. I get the following bt from gdb:
|
| (gdb) run
| Starting program: /usr/bin/octave
| Octave, version 2.0.13 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu).
| Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 John W. Eaton.
| This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| For details, type `warranty'.
|

| Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
| 0x0 in ?? ()
| (gdb) bt
| #0  0x0 in ?? ()
| #1  0x4045e07f in __overflow (f=0x809c998, ch=0) at genops.c:181
| #2  0x4045bcc1 in _IO_putc (c=0, fp=0x809c998) at putc.c:33
| #3  0x400b1cca in octave_pager_buf::sync ()
| #4  0x403ee6b5 in ostream::flush ()
| #5  0x400b22b7 in flush_octave_stdout ()
| #6  0x40084709 in octave_gets ()
| #7  0x400849e5 in get_user_input ()
| #8  0x40084a85 in octave_read ()
| #9  0x4008c35e in yy_get_next_buffer ()
| #10 0x4008c075 in yylex ()
| #11 0x400b446b in yyparse ()
| #12 0x400f42e6 in main_loop ()
| #13 0x805256c in main ()

Since it fails in the library I/O code, I'm almost certain that it is
a problem with your libraries and/or possibly the header files -- if
the data structures defined by the header files don't match what is in
the libraries, things will not work.

When you upgraded your system, did you just upgrade the libraries, or
did you also upgrade the C and C++ development stuff (where the header
files are probably packaged)?

jwe