Re: Canned recipes

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Canned recipes
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 07:59:28 -0400

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 12:24 -0400, Harvey Chapman wrote:
> I copied an example from the make manual and I don't see why it
> doesn't work. It never runs the canned recipe commands.

> $ cat Makefile
> # From http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Canned-Recipes
> # 5.8 Defining Canned Recipes

The version of the manual on the FSF web site always describes the
latest released version of GNU make, currently 3.82.

> define run-yacc =
> yacc $(firstword $^)
> mv y.tab.c $@
> endef

> $ make --version
> GNU Make 3.81

You are running the previous version of GNU make, 3.81.  If you want to
read the version of the manual for your version of GNU make you should
read the one that was installed on your system; that version should be
the right one for your installed version of GNU make.

The syntax that allows the type of variable to be defined by adding "=",
":=", "+=" etc. was added in 3.82 so your version does not support this
syntax, which is why you're seeing this issue.

Remove the "=", so it's just:

        define run-yacc
        endef

and that should work.