Canned recipes

From: Harvey Chapman
Subject: Canned recipes
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:24:53 -0400

I copied an example from the make manual and I don't see why it doesn't work.
It never runs the canned recipe commands.

Thank you,
Harvey

$ cat Makefile
# From http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Canned-Recipes
# 5.8 Defining Canned Recipes

define run-yacc =
yacc $(firstword $^)
mv y.tab.c $@
endef

foo.c : foo.y
        @echo "Just before"
        $(run-yacc)

foo.y:
        touch $@

.PHONY: clean
clean:
        rm -f foo.y foo.c

$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-apple-darwin10.0
$ make
touch foo.y
Just before
$

$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i486-pc-linux-gnu
$ make
touch foo.y
Just before
$