Re: load average and parallel execution

From: ali hagigat
Subject: Re: load average and parallel execution
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:54:47 +0330

Dear Sam,
Thank you for your effort to help me though you hardly understand the
real reasons of my questions often. Please notice why i asked that
question, it was because one sentence of the manual as follows:
---------------------------------------
-l 2.5
will not let make start more than one job if the load average is above 2.5.
What does this sentence mean? It means if our load average is 3 for
example, then make starts one job but not more than one job at that
moment!!?
It indicates that make starts something even though it sees that load
average is above 2.5!

I think the manual is ambiguous and some what in contradiction with
the lines that follows. It should say:
"make will not start new jobs till load average is 2.5 or above AND
the number of jobs is at least one"