Re: load average and parallel execution

From: Sam Ravnborg
Subject: Re: load average and parallel execution
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:48:39 +0100

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:34:13PM +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
>  For example,
> -l 2.5
> will not let make start more than one job if the load average is above 2.5.
> Will not make start a new job, isn't it?

If make did not start any jobs if load if above limit then this would block
make.
So it does not make sence not to start _any_ jobs.

And the manual documents this:

More precisely, when make goes to start up a job, and it already has at least
one job running, it checks the current load average; if it is not lower than
the limit given with ā€˜-lā€™, make waits until the load average goes below that
limit, or until all the other jobs finish.

How did you miss this?

Since you asked I assume you already tried this and concluded
something else than what is written in the manual.
If my assumption is correct then please include this info.
And if you did not take your time to try it then please tell so too.

In other words - please show that you actually _tried_ to understand before
you decided to ask.

        Sam