dependency line is hidden when adding a dependency

From: Frank Winter
Subject: dependency line is hidden when adding a dependency
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:24:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

I have a strange behaviour here. If I add the dependencies "pfps.eps pfpscut.eps" to the line, the rule gets for some reason not applied, and instead a "build-in" rule gets applied:

%.dvi: %.tex pfps.eps pfpscut.eps
        latex $<

%.pdf: %.dvi
        dvipdf $<

 % make --debug --just-print fps.pdf
GNU Make 3.81
This program built for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
Reading makefiles...
Updating goal targets....
 File `fps.pdf' does not exist.
  File `fps.dvi' does not exist.
 Must remake target `fps.dvi'.
tex fps.tex
 Successfully remade target file `fps.dvi'.
Must remake target `fps.pdf'.
dvipdf fps.dvi
Successfully remade target file `fps.pdf'.
Removing intermediate files...
rm fps.dvi

As you can see, "tex" is called which was never used in the Makefile. It must be a built-in rule. If I now, remove the additional dependencies. latex gets called as it is supposed:

%.dvi: %.tex
        latex $<

%.pdf: %.dvi
        dvipdf $<

GNU Make 3.81
This program built for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
Reading makefiles...
Updating goal targets....
 File `fps.pdf' does not exist.
  File `fps.dvi' does not exist.
 Must remake target `fps.dvi'.
latex fps.tex
 Successfully remade target file `fps.dvi'.
Must remake target `fps.pdf'.
dvipdf fps.dvi
Successfully remade target file `fps.pdf'.
Removing intermediate files...
rm fps.dvi

But sure, I need the other targets get built. So I need them in the dep-list.

Any ideas?

Frank