help-gsasl

Re: win32 Visual Studio 2005 project for gsasl

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: win32 Visual Studio 2005 project for gsasl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:16:47 +0200

Adam Strzelecki <address@hidden> writes:

>> The gen-win32-headers.pl is GPLv3+, but libgsasl should be LGPLv2.1+.
>> Is it ok to use LGPLv2.1+ for it instead?  Also, I suggest adding a
>> statement like this after the license declaration:
>>
>> # I consider the output of this program to be unrestricted.  Use it as
>> # you will.
>
> Ahh bugger, forgot about this one, yeah please put there LGPL
> statement there instead of GPLv3, it is okay for me.

Thanks, done.

>> The gen-win32-headers.pl is GPLv3+, but libgsasl should be LGPLv2.1+.
>> Is it ok to use LGPLv2.1+ for it instead?  Also, I suggest adding a
>> statement like this after the license declaration:
>>
>> # I consider the output of this program to be unrestricted.  Use it as
>> # you will.
>
> Aha... gen-win32-headers.pl at libidn has also GPLv3+ header, I'm not
> sure how it happened to be there, but there it is.

In libidn, the makefiles etc are GPLv3+, so it is fine to use GPLv3+
there.  However, all of libgsasl is currently intended to be LGPLv2.1+.
I'm not sure there is a reason for this, and we could go GPLv3+ for the
build system of libgsasl too, but it is simpler to explain that libgsasl
is strictly LGPLv2.1+ and the rest GPLv3+/GFDL.

> What I did recently is I copied the gen-win32-headers.pl from libidn
> to gsasl, so together with the header. With my original libidn patch
> (last year) had this Perl without GPL header, so it has had to be
> added later on, so this is the "true story of GPLv3+ header of gen-
> win32-headers.pl" :)))

You've signed copyright assignments for both libidn and gsasl, so
changing the license on this shouldn't be a problem anyway.

/Simon