Re: Grub2 almost does what I want

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: Grub2 almost does what I want
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:56:35 -0500

On 2013-02-07 15:50 (GMT-0800) Jordan Uggla composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

If it wasn't already there or available, how could a user edit cmdline at
boot time to delete it or change it to something temporarily preferable?

They wouldn't edit the linux cmdline, they would add "gfxpayload=foo"
(on its own line).

They maybe, not me:

# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)

# cat /etc/os-release | grep ETTY
PRETTY_NAME="Mageia 3"

# rpm -qa | grep grub2
grub2-2.00-17.mga3

# ll /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26473 Feb  4 17:36 /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img

# cat /disks/realboot/grub/menu.lst | grep core.img
kernel (hd0,21)/boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img

## BEGIN GRUB2 TEST BOOT ##

From (hd0,msdos22)/boot/grub/grub.cfg @
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Mdv/grub.cfg.04 I selected

        menuentry 'Mageia GNU/Linux, with Linux cur'

to edit, and the Grub 2.00 edit screen when I finished editing looked like:

        set gfxpayload=text
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos22'
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda22 ro noplymouth splash=verbose
nomodeset vga=794 3
        initrd  /boot/initrd

when I keyed Ctrl-X.

# uname -r
3.8.0-desktop-0.rc5.1.mga3

# mount | grep "on / type"
/dev/hda22 on / type ext3
(rw,noatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)

# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-cur root=/dev/hda22 ro noplymouth splash=verbose
nomodeset vga=794 3

# stty -a | grep rows
speed 38400 baud; rows 64; columns 160; line = 0;

## END GRUB2 TEST BOOT ##

Of course it is much simpler when just booting the default kernel/initrd
directly via the
(openSUSE Grub Legacy's GFXboot) master bootloader:

title Mageia Cauldron default kernel on sda22
    root (hd0,21)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=22cauldrn noresume splash=verbose vga=794
address@hidden 3
    initrd /boot/initrd

that highlights the active selection but leaves cursor at end of kernel cmdline
waiting for edits,
where to match the above test boot I'd s/address@hidden/nomodeset/ before
proceeding to again
find included in /proc/cmdline the string vga=794. Maybe now you can see when I write
"cmdline"
I'm referring to anything that results in inclusion in the file /proc/cmdline
regardless whether
"on its own line" in the process. I don't see the need for "on its own line" in
order to reach
/proc/cmdline any more than I do for the deprecation message about the still
and for as long as
gfxchips without KMS support exist quite useful vga= cmdline option.

Vga= for such chips does still do what it did
pre-KMS. As long as kernels still respond to it, people don't need
deprecation warnings from their boot loader about a kernel video function.

The kernel does not respond to it, and never has. It has always been
the bootloader that responded to it, as documented in
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt .

So what you're saying is that a boot loader after accepting a menu selection
from the user
is altering the video mode prior to loading the kernel and initrd? What
business is this
for a boot loader? I sounds like a Trojan vector to me, and even if not, a way
to swell
the boot loader code beyond available space to install it. Does Lilo produce
such a message?
Syslinux? AiR-Boot?

How nice it is (not) to have new "improved" versions of init systems and
boot loaders tell us we must change to using cmdline options or similarly
obtuse configuration options that require 2-10 times as much typing and
recollection power to perform same function as required in the past.
1024x768x24 may be a bit easier for n00bs to wrap their brains around, but
it's not helpful to those of us who learned what vga= itself referred to and
what relevant vga= options meant last century and who prefer less typing to
more typing.

Yes, gfxmode=1024x768x24 takes more typing than "vga=792". That is true.

So why not video=, same as the kernel uses, not to be confused with any mode
specified
for X? Gfx is about graphic effects, not expected in the production of vtty
text.

And it's certainly not welcome without adding desirable new
function in the process to consume more of the precious resource that is the
kernel cmdline.

I don't understand this comment.

Try to put more than 254 chars or whatever the limit is on the cmdline and the
excess is
truncated (the kernel never gets it). With a full pathname of the kernel plus a
UUID, it
can be difficult to observe a complete cmdline statement on a single line, and
at times,
it can be impossible to give everything needed to the kernel. That is yet
another
instance of bloat (more content than required to do its job).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/