Re: Grub2 almost does what I want

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Grub2 almost does what I want
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:51:50 -0700

On Feb 2, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Richard Owlett <address@hidden> wrote:

> [Grub menu identifies itself as version 1.98+20100804+squeeze1]

I think you need to use a newer version of GRUB2 first off. This is a
prerelease version and is quite old.

> Do I have any options except following full manual edit of grub.cfg?
> [my reading of http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html suggests I
> don't.]

Directly editing the grub.cg isn't advised, it's better to make the changes in
/etc/default/grub and then running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg which
reads the /etc/default/grub configuration, and produces a new grub.cfg from
scratch.

Also note that documentation applies to GRUB 2.00. There are many, many changes
from 1.98 to 2.00.

Chris Murphy