Re: Grub2 almost does what I want

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub2 almost does what I want
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 23:50:45 +0400

В Sat, 02 Feb 2013 08:47:37 -0600
Richard Owlett <address@hidden> пишет:

> I'm making a series of almost identical installs of Debian
> Squeeze (6.0.5)
> [Grub menu identifies itself as version 1.98+20100804+squeeze1]
>
> Using the Debian installer and Grub with their defaults
> leaves me me with problems with the Grub menu for boot options.
>
> The latest installation goes to the top of the displayed
> list and is also selected as the default OS to boot.
> That is unsatisfactory as the first OS will will always be
> closest to a standard install - i.e. most likely to run.
> Also, when I have an install that I don't like, I would like
> to eliminate it by simply deleting that partition and go on
> to my next try.

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean installing new kernel or
making completely separate installation in different partition?

> Because all the installs are from the same DVD set, all
> lines on the Grub menu are nearly identical. I'd like to
> replace the kernel information with meaningful text.

Could you show example of how entries looks like now and how you would
change them?

> Each install adds an associated "recovery mode" option. I'd
> like to eliminate those. For what I'm doing, if "recovery"
> required it is time to wipe disk and start over again.

GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=yes in /etc/default/grub. I do not know whether
this was available with 1.98 already.

> Do I have any options except following full manual edit of
> grub.cfg?

If you have ideas how to improve generation of grub.cfg that are generic
enough, it is always possible to submit patch (or attract someone to
write patch to implement them :) )