Grub2 almost does what I want

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Grub2 almost does what I want
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 08:47:37 -0600

I'm making a series of almost identical installs of Debian Squeeze (6.0.5)
[Grub menu identifies itself as version 1.98+20100804+squeeze1]

Using the Debian installer and Grub with their defaults leaves me me with problems with the Grub menu for boot options.

The latest installation goes to the top of the displayed list and is also selected as the default OS to boot. That is unsatisfactory as the first OS will will always be closest to a standard install - i.e. most likely to run. Also, when I have an install that I don't like, I would like to eliminate it by simply deleting that partition and go on to my next try.

Because all the installs are from the same DVD set, all lines on the Grub menu are nearly identical. I'd like to replace the kernel information with meaningful text.

Each install adds an associated "recovery mode" option. I'd like to eliminate those. For what I'm doing, if "recovery" required it is time to wipe disk and start over again.

Do I have any options except following full manual edit of grub.cfg? [my reading of http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html suggests I don't.]

TIA