difference in recognizing the drives on boot and in running OS ?

From: Lentes, Bernd
Subject: difference in recognizing the drives on boot and in running OS ?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 01:20:07 +0200

Hi,

i have a sles 10 box not booting. Grub says error 22, which, afaik means that
it doesn't find a partition. / and /boot reside on /dev/sdc2. Device.map says
sdc is hd2 in GRUB notation. I changed the root entries in menu.lst to hd2,1. I
ran (in a GRUB shell in the running OS) root (hd2,1) and setup (hd2).
Everything went fine. But when i try to reboot, i get error 22. Is there a
possible difference between GRUB recognizing the drives during boot, and later
on in a running OS ? Is there a way to find out how GRUB assigns the drives on
boot, maybe using the GRUB command-line which is available during boot up ?

Thanks.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
address@hidden
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax:   +49 89 3187 3826
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wir sollten nicht den Tod fürchten, sondern das schlechte Leben.

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671