Installing gcc4.3.0 without root

From: daviddoria
Subject: Installing gcc4.3.0 without root
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 06:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

When I run './configure' i get this error

configure: error: Building GCC requires GMP 4.1+ and MPFR 2.2.1+. Try the
--with-gmp and/or --with-mpfr options to specify their locations. Copies of
these libraries' source code can be found at their respective hosting sites
as well as at ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/. See also
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html for additional info. If you
obtained GMP and/or MPFR from a vendor distribution package, make sure that
you have installed both the libraries and the header files. They may be
located in separate packages.

so i did
rpm -qa | grep gmp
gmp-4.1.4-3

rpm -qa | grep mpfr
NOTHING

so this is good... I download, configure, and make mpfr in /home/dave/mpfr

then I try to configure gcc again with
./configure --with-mpfr=/home/dave/mpfr

and it gives the same error!! I don't know what else to try - any
suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave