Re: which g++ should I get

From: Guy Harrison
Subject: Re: which g++ should I get
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:59:59 GMT

Edo wrote:

> Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>
>> Edo wrote:
>>
>>>I am using woody, debian. need to get the latest in g++, so I decided to
>>>download it from http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html now, should I get the
>>>binary or the source and build it myself?
>>

>> Three alternatives:
>> 1. apt-get.org
>> 2. backports.org
>> 3. wait for sarge or upgrade to testing
>>
>> Uli
>>
> thanks
> why not just get the source and #make; make install?

You need to avoid stomping on, or installing things, that affect parts of,
or behaviour of, your system compiler.

By all means attempt to build (I imagine 3.4.1) from source but do pass
'configure' a unique prefix. If nothing else, it makes it easy to remove
(recall there is no uninstall for gcc). Loosely...

$mkdir obj && cd obj
$../gcc/configure --prefix=$HOME/gcc341
$make bootstrap && make install

Whatever...
$PATH=$HOME/gcc341/bin:$PATH gcc --version

Hopefully you'll be able to use your current binutils (we can't help with
that problem here).