help-gnu-music

[Help-gnu-music] Another compilation problem (am I getting annoying??..)

From: Simon Adda-Reyss
Subject: [Help-gnu-music] Another compilation problem (am I getting annoying??..)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:58:40 +0000

Hi!
 Thanks for answering my previous message! Actually, just before reading
your answer, I tried to compile guile from the sources, and this time it
installed guile-config correctly. Looks like there's a bug in the
regular .deb guile package (in the slink version).

 Now, I have one more (actually, two I think) problem. I typed
./configure --disable-debugging and make, and everything went great, (it
even created the lilypond executable file), until it came to the mf
directory: the program exited with a "no rule to make target
usr/share/texmf/metapost/base/mfplain.mp, needed by mfplain.mem.". What
am I supposed to do? (is it because I just purged my old lilypond 1.0
package? I doubt it though).

 I think there is another thing that is not going quite well: I tried,
just to see how it works, to launch the lilypond executable in lily/out,
and it didn't work: "Error in loading shared libraries:
usr/lib/libguile.so.4: undefined symbol qt_error". I tried to force
"make --install", which of course, didn't work (but it did installed the
executable files, though), same error message. I know it's no wonder the
executable doesn't work properly, since I didn't finished compiling
everything, but, libguile.so.4 has more to do with guile, right? Maybe
is it because I didn't remove the binary package "guile1.3" and
"libguile4" before compiling guile from the sources? I'll try to remove
them, and then to compile guile again.

I'm sorry to bother you again. Actually the reason I want to compile a
new version of lilypond instead of using the 1.0 version, is that I want
to be able to print notes across several staffs and bind them together
(like in Ravel's toccata, for instance), which, I think isn't possible
yet in version 1.0. I could use the new .deb binary package, but then I
would have to upgrade my whole system to debian potato, and I don't have
time to do that right now (plus, I'm short on disk space).

Thanks.

Simon Adda-Reyss