help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] Compilation problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] Compilation problem
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 10:54:11 +0200

> Hi, everybody!
>
>  I'm sorry to bother you, but there is something I would like to ask
> you:
> I'd like to compile Lilypond on a Debian Slink Gnu/Linux system. I
> installed the Guile 1.3 package as requested, but when I launch the
> "configure" script, it stops with an error message saying "guile-config
> not found. Is guile installed?". The "guile-config" command doesn't
> work, and there is no file called "guile-config" on my harddisk. But
> guile IS installed properly (it works when I type "guile").
>
>  What am I missing? What should I do? Is there a package I should get?
> Or can I just assume that guile is working and erase or modify the
> "guile-config" line in the configure script?

If you go to http://www.debian.org/ and click on
``Debian Packages'' you can easily find the answer to this
and similar questions using ``Search the Contents ...''
For your specific question, you need libguile6-dev.

However, note that the Guile version in Slink is 1.3,
which is older than the 1.3.4 version you need for Lilypond.
You could try to download the versions for Debian 2.2 (Potato),
but I'm afraid that those depend on more recent versions of
libc and sevaral other packages.
Before I upgraded my whole system from Debian 2.0 to 2.2,
I actually had to compile Guile 1.3.4 myself from the sources.

Good luck

   /Mats