Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 17:50:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Is an Emacs installation really significantly
> larger than a Vim installation nowadays?

On my RPi3 with Raspbian 9, 'aptitude show'
tells me that the "Uncompressed Size" for the
vim pack is 1,921 k, for emacs25 it is 12.8 M.

>>> Line numbers are a _must_ in vim, because
>>> so many commands _require_ you to name the
>>> line numbers. See your example above.
>>> That Emacs originally didn't have line
>>> numbers is because you don't actually
>>> _need_ them so much.
>>>
>> For programming it is a must, actually.
>
> I disagree.

Are we talking about being able to tell what
line point is at, to go to a specific line,
either thru a button or a manual command, and
so on?

If so, isn't that like one of the most basic
feature any editor whatsoever should have?

Is this a new feature to Emacs?!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573