Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 18:41:51 +0300

On 17.05.2019 18:07, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

We are actually okay in the IDE department, with the help of the
community, even if you don't like to consider it to be a part of Emacs.

I don't think I agree, as I hear a lot of complaints about the
difficulties to set up an environment for working on this or that
language.  Even if all the parts of the solution are already in place
(and I don't think they are), the difficulty in bringing them to work
together in a coherent way is something that needs fixing, IMO.

Those problems exists but, unfortunately, what we could do to fix them
is limited. The complexity is not on setting-up Emacs itself, but on
installing and integrating the required *external dependencies* with the
corresponding Emacs package. It is very similar to setting Emacs on
Windows to work with grep, etc but with the added problem that the
external tools are not simple executable files that you must put on the
right place, but huge frameworks that comes on several variations
depending on their version and publisher.

The difficulty varies with the language and environment, but generally the steps can be:

- Install eglot and company.
- Install the appropriate language server program for the language you're going to be working in. For C/C++ all options are based on Clang, I think. Here's an incomplete list: https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/blob/5f629ebfb680f43849ca894c7166a2b54ff5ba50/eglot.el#L81 https://langserver.org/ also has a table.

You may have to add it to PATH.

- M-x global-company-mode (add it to the init script later).
- Open a file inside your project and M-x eglot.

Wait for the server to start and enjoy the completion/code navigation and documentation lookup features. Some refactorings as well, where supported.

A lot of the current user complains can be attributed to the fact that there is no single officially blessed, documented way to get IDE features in Emacs, but the above is a solid option.