Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 18:14:08 +0300

> From: John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org>
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 11:02:41 -0400
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I would argue that the experience of debugging using gdb-mi with
> gdb-many-windows set is quite painful.

So even what I thought was still "good enough" isn't, really...
Hardly surprising, given that it's unmaintained for the last few
years.

> At work various of my
> team members use gdb via VSCode.  On unit and package tests the
> performance is comparable.  Once one progresses to the company's
> enormous full application the performance difference is startling.

Is this perhaps due to parsing the GDB/MI output?  Did you try to
profile that case?  If it's due to parsing, maybe switching it to use
the built-in JSON available with Emacs 27 could help (assuming that
profiling points to that as a hot spot)?