Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edi

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Search StackOverflow and paste code snippets without leaving the edited file
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 19:43:19 +0100

Paul Smith <psmith@gnu.org> writes:

>> I'm not sure that I chose right prefix "C-c o". I
>> hope it will be ok.
>
> Please do not use bindings with "C-c <letter>".  They
> seem unused because they are reserved for
> customization by the individual user.  They're the
> only key bindings so reserved, and we really need to
> not override them.

So you say? When I ran out of keystrokes, or close and
short ones at least, I setup a new prefix key, namely
C-o, which is great because it requires minimal
hand/finger movements if you hands are initially at the
"asdf" and "jkl;" positions (assuming the US layout
keyboard). I actually think C-o is better than C-c for
that purpose because with C-c, you have both keys on
the same (left) hand which typically makes for a more
difficult keystroke to hit, though I'm unsure had I
setup the C-o prefix had I known you were "supposed" to
use C-c. Are there any other guidelines for shortcuts?
For modules, and especially those which you would
expect will get a wide spread, I agree you should not
override Emacs convention but for private use it is no
big deal and it is everyone's game. Also, though it
makes sense to make an effort to get it as good as
possible from day one, keep in mind that shortcuts are
perhaps the first things people learn how to setup to
their liking.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573