Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly

From: Dan Maftei
Subject: Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 23:15:18 +0100

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 16.07.2012 um 19:09 schrieb Dan Maftei:

> Pre-composed characters (e.g. 0xf1, ñ) render perfectly, but combining
> diacritics (e.g. n\x303) render the character oddly. Namely, the diacritic
> very miniscule, and is not placed directly above the main character (but
> not entirely to the left or right either). However, a single glyph IS
> created, since C-f and C-b skip over the entire rendered character.

Try again with a font having the COMBINING accents! You probably used an inadequate font so that GNU Emacs had to use two different fonts. Which you can check yourself by putting the text cursor on the basic character or on the accent and typing each time C-u C-x =.

I was not clear enough.

It is not possible to "put the text cursor on the basic character or on the accent" because the two are combined.

My font is apple-monaco for both pre-composed and compositional characters.

I have uploaded images of both compositional (http://i.imgur.com/yWPmv.png) and pre-composed (http://i.imgur.com/5Kfy2.png) characters. I've included describe-char output as well.

Notice: the combining diacritic is rendered extremely small, and off-center. It doesn't even look like a tilde in the final glyph.

For tests you could try to use Lucida Grande, a quite rich font. A good mono-spaced font is DejaVu Sans Mono. Lucida Sans Typewriter from Java is also a pretty good candidate. (Create a library in Font Book and populate it with the TT fonts!)
np

The default Cocoa emacs font (apple-monaco) properly renders combining characters in TextEdit. Nevertheless, I tried Lucida Grande, and it did not fix the issue.

Cheers,
Dan