Re: Arrow Keys?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Arrow Keys?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:38:45 GMT

On 2009-06-12 13:34 (-0400), John A Pershing Jr wrote:

> I don't understand what the problem is, here. The arrow keys work just
> fine, for those of you who don't/can't touch type. The mouse works
> just fine, too. And, the control-meta-cokebottle keys work just fine
> for those of us who *do* touch type. If you don't like C-f, then don't
> use it. It's as simple as that.

I think the point is this:

 1. Arrow keys are quite far away from usual typing positions so arrow
    keys' position is not optimal.

 2. C-fbnp are difficult or painful and certainly not ergonomic so they
    are not optimal either.

 3. By default there are no optimal keys for moving cursor.

And I would agree with that. It is possible to learn and master C-fbnp
keys but they are far from optimal and nice. Fortunately Emacs is
customizable.