Re: Arrow Keys?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Arrow Keys?
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:08:29 -0500

Andreas Röhler wrote:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 15:55:38 -0700 (PDT)

Isn't the purpose of Emacs to eliminate arguments over keybindings?
Every Emacs user can customise their bindings to their own personal
preferences.
That's the idea, yes.  But some people tend to argue a lot about the
default settings, for reasons that totally evade me in the context of
Emacs, whose customization features and extensibility are really
limitless.

You are right. Nonetheless, being a beginner, it's just that kind of
question
to pose IMHO.

Below a tiny issue I enjoy from the unlimited, it saves the (rather
laborious) keystrokes
typing in "yes" and "return" afterwards:

(global-set-key [(super a)] '[?y ?e ?s return])

Andreas

The effect can also be accomplished with

(fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)
; makes yes-or-no-p an alias for y-or-n-p

which short-circuits the safety of having to type out y e s [ret] but I guess it's no more dangerous than your method. A single y or space without RET will answer the query in the affirmative.

Ed