Re: ergonomic keybindings in text mode

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: ergonomic keybindings in text mode
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:53:29 +0200

Markus Grunwald <markus.grunwald@gmx.de> wrote:

> But I have one slight problem: text-mode changes a lot of bindings that I
> would like to have.
>
> What can I do about it ? The only thing that came to my mind is to re-bind
> all keys in text-mode-hook but this does not seem elegant to me...

I believe that's pretty much all you can do.  Emacs keymaps don't
abstract keys, so most modes just bind their commands to the standard
keys.  (That's why I have to think long and hard before re-assigning
even a single key.  The effects ripple through all parts of Emacs...)

But when looking at text-mode-map, with its three bindings, I'm not sure
about which lot of changes you're talking about.

Incidentally, the best thing for comfortable typing I've found (besides
Dvorak), is switching Control to Caps Lock and using C-m and C-h instead
of Return and Backspace.  Not that it's easy to get used to. :)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher