scroll behaviour during query-replace etc

From: Gordon Beaton
Subject: scroll behaviour during query-replace etc
Date: 8 Oct 2004 11:28:43 +0200

When I use query-replace (also query-replace-regexp or even isearch
for that matter) and matches are relatively frequent, i.e. less than a
windowfull of lines apart, a match will often be found at or near the
last window line where I can't see enough context to decide whether to
replace or not (or whether I've reached the thing I was searching
for).

I use scroll-margin to force the point to stay away from the top and
bottom edges while scrolling, unfortunately that doesn't seem to
affect these functions.

Is there a way to keep the point (relatively!) centered during
query-replace, or (alternatively) force it to stay on the same window
line?

It might be worth mentioning that I normally have
scroll-conservatively set to 100 or so, since I'm not a big fan of
recentering while scrolling, however even the default setting doesn't
do what I want here, since there is no scroll until the point actually
tries to leave the window.

/gordon

--
[  do not email me copies of your followups  ]
g o r d o n + n e w s @  b a l d e r 1 3 . s e