Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Copying and pasting Cyrillic text between Emacs and other apps
Date: 28 Jan 2004 08:33:10 +0200

[Perhaps we should move this discussion to emacs-devel@gnu.org.]

> From: jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 28 Jan 2004 00:25:51 +0000
>
> Emacs will put data on the clipboard in whatever encoding you tell it
> to, but most other programs will only use the System default.

It seems like there's more here than meets the eye.

Emacs in CVS can use UTF-8, UTF-16-BE and UTF-16-LE as well.  I tried
them, but the Windows clipboard viewer still shows garbage when I
type "C-x RET X ENCODING RET M-w" (where ENCODING is one of the UTF-*
encodings mentioned above) with Cyrillic characters in the region.

What is it that Emacs doesn't do right here?  Because if I copy
Cyrillic text from the Explorer on the same system, the clipboard
viewer does show it correctly.